Log Cabin Republicans Slam Chuck Hagel in Full-Page Ad
BY Sunnivie Brydum
December 28 2012 2:49 PM ET
In a full-page ad that ran in The New York Times on Thursday, conservative gay group Log Cabin Republicans decried former Nebraska Senator and likely Defense Secretary nominee Chuck Hagel as "wrong on gay rights."
The full-page ad features text from a statement Hagel made in 1997 about James Hormel, the country's first openly gay ambassador. Under the headline "Chuck Hagel's Words:" the ad cites Hagel's 15-year-old remarks:
"They are representing America [as ambassador]. They are representing our lifestyle, our values, our standards. And I think it is an inhibiting factor to be gay — openly, aggressively gay..."
Hagel has since apologized for the remarks, but LCR is still opposing Hagel's nomination, which is considered to be on the President's short list for Secretary of Defense.
"Chuck Hagel's weak record on preventing nuclear proliferation in Iran, lack of confidence in our ally Israel as well as an aggressive history against the LGBT community is a no-go combination for a Secretary of Defense nominee," said R. Clarke Cooper, Executive Director of Log Cabin Republicans, in a statement announcing the ad.
View the ad below.
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- PHOTOS: Pride From France to Italy to Greece
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 22 min 28 sec ago
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs 24 min 38 sec ago
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame 51 min 23 sec ago
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 1 hour 22 min ago
- Politicians President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech 2 hours 43 min ago
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 3:42 PM
- World News Liberal Australian MP Crosses Aisle In Support of LGBT Nondiscrimination 3:30 PM