Log Cabin Republicans Slam Chuck Hagel in Full-Page Ad
BY Sunnivie Brydum
December 28 2012 2:49 PM ET
In a full-page ad that ran in The New York Times on Thursday, conservative gay group Log Cabin Republicans decried former Nebraska Senator and likely Defense Secretary nominee Chuck Hagel as "wrong on gay rights."
The full-page ad features text from a statement Hagel made in 1997 about James Hormel, the country's first openly gay ambassador. Under the headline "Chuck Hagel's Words:" the ad cites Hagel's 15-year-old remarks:
"They are representing America [as ambassador]. They are representing our lifestyle, our values, our standards. And I think it is an inhibiting factor to be gay — openly, aggressively gay..."
Hagel has since apologized for the remarks, but LCR is still opposing Hagel's nomination, which is considered to be on the President's short list for Secretary of Defense.
"Chuck Hagel's weak record on preventing nuclear proliferation in Iran, lack of confidence in our ally Israel as well as an aggressive history against the LGBT community is a no-go combination for a Secretary of Defense nominee," said R. Clarke Cooper, Executive Director of Log Cabin Republicans, in a statement announcing the ad.
View the ad below.
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death?
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Commentary Op-ed: The Policies Keeping Trans People From Military Service 1 hour 52 min ago
- Politics A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade 3:00 AM
- Love and Sex WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video 2:19 AM
- Religion LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades 2:10 AM
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade March 16 2014 5:34 PM
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? March 16 2014 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? March 16 2014 1:12 PM