Komen Founder Raising Money for Gay Rights With Son
BY Michelle Garcia
January 29 2013 3:43 PM ET
Susan G. Komen for the Cure breast cancer foundation's founder Nancy Brinker has added gay rights to the number of causes she is actively campaigning for. She and her gay son, Eric Brinker, cohosted a reception for gay legal advocacy organization Lambda Legal last week in Washington, D.C.
Last year, Komen publicly ended its partnership with Planned Parenthood, taking away funding for Planned Parenthood's breast health initiatives in underfunded areas. The break was mainly due to Planned Parenthood's offering of abortions, but Brinker later announced that the partnership would be restored. Still, Komen saw a significant drop in donations, and several members of Komen's board resigned, including Eric, who had been involved with the organization since age 5 when his mother established it in honor of her sister who died of breast cancer.
Now the pair are together hosting a fund-raiser for Lambda Legal, which is part of the legal team tasked with arguing in favor of marriage equality before the Supreme Court later this year.
"Having the most supportive mom in the world, I didn't have to twist her arm very hard to get her involved," Eric Brinker told The Washington Post.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- PHOTOS: Cyndi Lauper and Friends Work to Bring LGBT Homeless Youth Home for the Holidays
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM