Russian MP Threatens Closure of Websites 'Promoting' Homosexuality
BY Sunnivie Brydum
February 10 2013 3:55 PM ET
Elena Mizulina, Russia's head of the State Duma's Committee on Family, Women and Children, announced Thursday that she would seek the closure of any pro-LGBT websites in the country, claiming they "promote homosexuality," reports GayRussia.
According to a Google translation of the article's original Russian text, Mizulina proposed the antigay proposition as an amendment to a pending federal law prohibiting the dispensing of "negative information" to children.
Mizulina cited the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, claiming that by signing, Russian "national authorities are obliged to limit the freedoms and human rights, the implementation of which could violate the rights of the child, the right to the formation of his personality."
Mizulina further claimed that "none of the adults, whatever preferences he had for himself, has the right to impose these preferences on a person under 18 years old... Therefore, limiting promotion of homosexuality among children should be referred to in the information gap for children."
The law which Mizulina is proposing to amend was enacted in December of 2010, according to GayRussia, and seeks to protect children from information "harmful to their health and development."
The Russian government is currently considering a law that would ban so-called "homosexual propoganda," which LGBT advocates say could amount to a ban on any discussion of LGBT identities.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 5 min 37 sec ago
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM