Russian MP Threatens Closure of Websites 'Promoting' Homosexuality
BY Sunnivie Brydum
February 10 2013 3:55 PM ET
Elena Mizulina, Russia's head of the State Duma's Committee on Family, Women and Children, announced Thursday that she would seek the closure of any pro-LGBT websites in the country, claiming they "promote homosexuality," reports GayRussia.
According to a Google translation of the article's original Russian text, Mizulina proposed the antigay proposition as an amendment to a pending federal law prohibiting the dispensing of "negative information" to children.
Mizulina cited the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, claiming that by signing, Russian "national authorities are obliged to limit the freedoms and human rights, the implementation of which could violate the rights of the child, the right to the formation of his personality."
Mizulina further claimed that "none of the adults, whatever preferences he had for himself, has the right to impose these preferences on a person under 18 years old... Therefore, limiting promotion of homosexuality among children should be referred to in the information gap for children."
The law which Mizulina is proposing to amend was enacted in December of 2010, according to GayRussia, and seeks to protect children from information "harmful to their health and development."
The Russian government is currently considering a law that would ban so-called "homosexual propoganda," which LGBT advocates say could amount to a ban on any discussion of LGBT identities.
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 2 hours 58 min ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 4:00 AM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM