Russian MP Threatens Closure of Websites 'Promoting' Homosexuality
BY Sunnivie Brydum
February 10 2013 3:55 PM ET
Elena Mizulina, Russia's head of the State Duma's Committee on Family, Women and Children, announced Thursday that she would seek the closure of any pro-LGBT websites in the country, claiming they "promote homosexuality," reports GayRussia.
According to a Google translation of the article's original Russian text, Mizulina proposed the antigay proposition as an amendment to a pending federal law prohibiting the dispensing of "negative information" to children.
Mizulina cited the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, claiming that by signing, Russian "national authorities are obliged to limit the freedoms and human rights, the implementation of which could violate the rights of the child, the right to the formation of his personality."
Mizulina further claimed that "none of the adults, whatever preferences he had for himself, has the right to impose these preferences on a person under 18 years old... Therefore, limiting promotion of homosexuality among children should be referred to in the information gap for children."
The law which Mizulina is proposing to amend was enacted in December of 2010, according to GayRussia, and seeks to protect children from information "harmful to their health and development."
The Russian government is currently considering a law that would ban so-called "homosexual propoganda," which LGBT advocates say could amount to a ban on any discussion of LGBT identities.
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 1 hour 32 min ago
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini 2 hours 44 min ago
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame June 19 2013 6:51 PM