U.S. Senator Urges Countries to Hold Rainbow Flags at Sochi Olympics, Calls Putin 'Bully'
BY Jase Peeples
August 13 2013 6:51 PM ET
U.S. senator Chuck Schumer called Russian president Vladimir Putin a “schoolyard bully” and urged counties to hold rainbow flags during the opening ceremonies of the Sochi Olympics to support LGBT athletes during a Monday appearance on Morning Joe.
“I’ve called Putin … a schoolyard bully, and the only way you deal with bullies is stand up to them,” Schumer told Morning Joe cohost Mika Brzezinski. “When we march initially, all the countries should wave the multicolored flag for gay rights. That would be pretty embarrassing for Putin, let our athletes participate and still take a stand.”
The New York senator also praised President Obama for his decision to publicly criticize Russia’s treatment of LGBT people and canceling a meeting with Putin following Russia’s adoption of a new antigay law. “The president is doing his job by trying to keep the person-to-person relationship OK,” Schumer said. “I thought it was a good move not going to the bilateral.”
Watch the full interview in the video below.
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 8:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 8:25 PM