Senate Will Vote on ENDA Monday
BY Sunnivie Brydum
October 31 2013 6:08 PM ET
With a low-key procedural move, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid ended a week of speculation about when the U.S. Senate will vote on the Employment Non-Discrimination Act.
The Senate will make a cloture vote on ENDA, which would ban employment discrimination nationwide on the basis of gender identity or sexual orientation, on Monday, reports the Washington Blade.
Reid filed for cloture on the legislation Thursday evening, a procedural move that requires 60 votes and essentially overcomes any effort at a filibuster. Once the cloture vote is taken — and if it achieves the 60-vote threshold — the chamber will debate the bill, then eventually make a final vote on it.
BuzzFeed's Chris Geidner notes that 59 Senators have already committed to supporting the bill, including all 55 Senate Democrats, and four Republicans. If the Senate votes on the bill next week, it will be the first time since 1996 that the chamber has given the long-languishing legislation an up-or-down vote. It would also be the first time Congress has ever voted on the antidiscrimination bill with stated protections for transgender Americans.
A spokesman for Nevada Democrat Reid anticipated that the Senate could make the final vote on the bill by Wednesday, following the cloture vote that is expected Monday.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Entertainment News GQ Germany Features Famous Straight Men Kissing for Tolerance 47 min 31 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 1 hour 41 min ago
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 1 hour 58 min ago
- Transgender Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law 2 hours 6 min ago
- Religion Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks 2 hours 31 min ago
- Film WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online 2 hours 34 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Happy Gay People on Beaches 2:07 PM