Full Benefits for Married Same-Sex Couples Granted by Florida National Guard
BY Jase Peeples
November 05 2013 6:06 PM ET
Though Florida does not recognize same-sex marriage, the state’s National Guard has announced it will provide married same-sex partners full benefits, reports First Coast News.
The Pentagon had updated its benefits policy to include same-sex spouses in June, after the U.S. Supreme Court struck down a key component of the Defense of Marriage Act. However, the National Guard in Florida was one of the branches from nine different states that did not comply with the updated federal policy at the time, claiming it violated the state’s constitutional ban on same-sex marriage.
Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said the nine state National Guards were "wrong" for not allowing service members to receive military ID cards for their same-sex spouses and ordered National Guard Bureau head Gen. Frank Grass to investigate the matter. "Not only does this violate the states' obligation under federal law, their actions have created hardship and inequality by forcing couples to travel long distances to federal military bases to obtain the ID cards they're entitled to," he said during a speech for the Anti-Defamation League's centennial dinner last week.
However, a compromise became possible when it was agreed all same-sex benefits applications will be processed at federal buildings rather than state offices.
As of today, the Florida National Guard is in “full compliance” with the updated federal policy and initial benefits enrollment for same-sex spouses of service members can be done at National Guard facilities throughout the state.
- Film Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity 2 hours 3 min ago
- Current Issue A Letter to My Partners 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 5:00 AM
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 4:00 AM
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM