Michael Lucas: It Takes a Coulter
BY Michael Lucas
August 24 2010 3:05 PM ET
COMMENTARY: It’s time for the gay community to change its Facebook status from “in a relationship with Democrats” to “single.”
With the latest CNN polls finding that a slight majority of Americans now support same-sex marriage, is it time for us to accept that some of the people who used to be our enemies have become allies — or at least potential friends? I’m talking about conservatives.
While Democratic lawmakers are not loosing their sleep over “don’t ask, don’t tell,” our favorite conservative punching bags are taking stands to support equality for gays and lesbians.
Take Ann Coulter. She was recently dropped from right-wing website WorldNetDaily’s Taking America Back National Conference, a right-wing speaking gig. She drew a lot of criticism from her own fans when they found out that she was headlining Homocon, an event put together by GOProud, a gay Republican organization. When asked about the criticism from WorldNetDaily, she refused to back down. She told CBS News, “I’m sure I agree with GOProud more [often] than I do with at least half of my college audiences.”
HOMOCON is merely the latest example of conservatives of all ages lending at least tacit support to the cause of gay rights.
Whether or not you think he’s got all his marbles, Fox News’s Glenn Beck can now be counted as a gay rights supporter. When he was goaded recently by Bill O’Reilly, he voiced support for gay marriage. “Gay marriage,” he said “is no threat to America.” Quoting Thomas Jefferson, Beck told O’Reilly, “If it neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket, what difference is it to me?”
Tucker Carlson is speaking at an event hosted by the Log Cabin Republicans. Even Dick Cheney voiced support for gay marriage. And Ann Coulter said in an interview on Fox News, “I love gay people. I just don’t want them to get married.” How is this position different from that of President Obama, Hillary Clinton, or any other leading Democrat?
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? March 07 2014 5:53 PM
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day March 07 2014 5:49 PM