Michael Lucas: It Takes a Coulter
BY Michael Lucas
August 24 2010 3:05 PM ET
COMMENTARY: It’s time for the gay community to change its Facebook status from “in a relationship with Democrats” to “single.”
With the latest CNN polls finding that a slight majority of Americans now support same-sex marriage, is it time for us to accept that some of the people who used to be our enemies have become allies — or at least potential friends? I’m talking about conservatives.
While Democratic lawmakers are not loosing their sleep over “don’t ask, don’t tell,” our favorite conservative punching bags are taking stands to support equality for gays and lesbians.
Take Ann Coulter. She was recently dropped from right-wing website WorldNetDaily’s Taking America Back National Conference, a right-wing speaking gig. She drew a lot of criticism from her own fans when they found out that she was headlining Homocon, an event put together by GOProud, a gay Republican organization. When asked about the criticism from WorldNetDaily, she refused to back down. She told CBS News, “I’m sure I agree with GOProud more [often] than I do with at least half of my college audiences.”
HOMOCON is merely the latest example of conservatives of all ages lending at least tacit support to the cause of gay rights.
Whether or not you think he’s got all his marbles, Fox News’s Glenn Beck can now be counted as a gay rights supporter. When he was goaded recently by Bill O’Reilly, he voiced support for gay marriage. “Gay marriage,” he said “is no threat to America.” Quoting Thomas Jefferson, Beck told O’Reilly, “If it neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket, what difference is it to me?”
Tucker Carlson is speaking at an event hosted by the Log Cabin Republicans. Even Dick Cheney voiced support for gay marriage. And Ann Coulter said in an interview on Fox News, “I love gay people. I just don’t want them to get married.” How is this position different from that of President Obama, Hillary Clinton, or any other leading Democrat?
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM