Record Number of Gays Headed for Democratic National Convention
BY Michelle Garcia
August 31 2012 2:25 PM ET
More than 530 LGBT Democrats will participate in their party's convention next week, according to a count by the Stonewall Democrats.
The figure bests the previous record of out participants, which was 350 for 2008's conventionin Denver. According to the San Diego Gay and Lesbian News, the increase is thanks to the Stonewall Democrats' initiative, Pride in the Party, which is an effort to bring more LGBT voters into the fold.
"Dedicated activists including those at the DNC and National Stonewall Democrats, made this historic moment possible by doggedly insisting that LGBT people have a seat at the table and by demonstrating the strength our community can bring to party politics," said Stonewall Democrats executive director Jerame Davis. "We didn't sit around wishing for a better party, we made the party better for LGBT people."
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus 21 min 12 sec ago
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 21 min 21 sec ago
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 1 hour 3 min ago
- Entertainment News GQ Germany Features Famous Straight Men Kissing for Tolerance 2 hours 37 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 3:34 PM
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 3:17 PM
- Transgender Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law 3:09 PM