Record Number of Gays Headed for Democratic National Convention
BY Michelle Garcia
August 31 2012 3:25 PM ET
More than 530 LGBT Democrats will participate in their party's convention next week, according to a count by the Stonewall Democrats.
The figure bests the previous record of out participants, which was 350 for 2008's conventionin Denver. According to the San Diego Gay and Lesbian News, the increase is thanks to the Stonewall Democrats' initiative, Pride in the Party, which is an effort to bring more LGBT voters into the fold.
"Dedicated activists including those at the DNC and National Stonewall Democrats, made this historic moment possible by doggedly insisting that LGBT people have a seat at the table and by demonstrating the strength our community can bring to party politics," said Stonewall Democrats executive director Jerame Davis. "We didn't sit around wishing for a better party, we made the party better for LGBT people."
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- Bryan Cranston: 'End This Silliness' of Opposing Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Leelah Alcorn 'Ciswashed' by the Media, White House
- QUIZ: Which Gay Movie Is Your Life?