Record Number of Gays Headed for Democratic National Convention
BY Michelle Garcia
August 31 2012 2:25 PM ET
More than 530 LGBT Democrats will participate in their party's convention next week, according to a count by the Stonewall Democrats.
The figure bests the previous record of out participants, which was 350 for 2008's conventionin Denver. According to the San Diego Gay and Lesbian News, the increase is thanks to the Stonewall Democrats' initiative, Pride in the Party, which is an effort to bring more LGBT voters into the fold.
"Dedicated activists including those at the DNC and National Stonewall Democrats, made this historic moment possible by doggedly insisting that LGBT people have a seat at the table and by demonstrating the strength our community can bring to party politics," said Stonewall Democrats executive director Jerame Davis. "We didn't sit around wishing for a better party, we made the party better for LGBT people."
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- Gay Man Allegedly Assaulted by Hasidic Gang in New York
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM