Record Number of Gays Headed for Democratic National Convention
BY Michelle Garcia
August 31 2012 3:25 PM ET
More than 530 LGBT Democrats will participate in their party's convention next week, according to a count by the Stonewall Democrats.
The figure bests the previous record of out participants, which was 350 for 2008's conventionin Denver. According to the San Diego Gay and Lesbian News, the increase is thanks to the Stonewall Democrats' initiative, Pride in the Party, which is an effort to bring more LGBT voters into the fold.
"Dedicated activists including those at the DNC and National Stonewall Democrats, made this historic moment possible by doggedly insisting that LGBT people have a seat at the table and by demonstrating the strength our community can bring to party politics," said Stonewall Democrats executive director Jerame Davis. "We didn't sit around wishing for a better party, we made the party better for LGBT people."
- Film Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity 2 hours 5 min ago
- Current Issue A Letter to My Partners 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 5:00 AM
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 4:00 AM
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM