Two Gay Candidates Win Delaware Primaries
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 12 2012 2:10 PM ET
Two LGBT state legislative candidates won their primaries in Delaware Tuesday, the Washington Blade reports. If they go on to win the general election in November, Andy Staton and Marie Mayor would be the first out LGBT legislators in Delaware.
Staton, a gay Rehoboth Beach real estate agent, won his Democratic primary with 58.1% of the vote. Mayor, a Milton Democrat and a lesbian, won her primary election with twice as many votes as her closest challenger.
Both Staton and Mayor have Republican challengers in the general election. Mayor will face Stephen Smyk and Staton will face Ernesto Lopez.
Read more here.
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- #TBT: Selling the Male Body
- Alabama's Antigay Chief Justice Scolds Ruth Bader Ginsburg on 'Judicial Ethics'
- Poised for Perfection: Sgt. Shane Ortega Puts a Face to the Transgender Military Ban
- North Carolina Governor to Veto Antigay Measure