Two Gay Candidates Win Delaware Primaries
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 12 2012 2:10 PM ET
Two LGBT state legislative candidates won their primaries in Delaware Tuesday, the Washington Blade reports. If they go on to win the general election in November, Andy Staton and Marie Mayor would be the first out LGBT legislators in Delaware.
Staton, a gay Rehoboth Beach real estate agent, won his Democratic primary with 58.1% of the vote. Mayor, a Milton Democrat and a lesbian, won her primary election with twice as many votes as her closest challenger.
Both Staton and Mayor have Republican challengers in the general election. Mayor will face Stephen Smyk and Staton will face Ernesto Lopez.
Read more here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM