Marylanders for Marriage Equality Coalition Surpasses 100 Partners
BY Julie Bolcer
August 24 2012 10:03 AM ET
Marylanders for Marriage Equality, the coalition working to uphold the new state law in a referendum, announced that more than 100 organizations have joined the campaign.
The coalition reached the milestone this week, according to a news release. Marylanders for Marriage Equality includes a broad array of LGBT organizations, organized labor, religious groups, and others representing thousands of residents. Some of the partners include the Maryland Black Family Alliance, 1199 SEIU, ACLU of Maryland, the NAACP’s Baltimore branch, and the League of Women Voters.
“We’ve been pounding the pavement and our work is paying off,” said David Turley, coalition director for Marylanders for Marriage Equality, in a statement. “Our momentum is growing as we build a homegrown and diverse base of support. Partner organizations are integral in mobilizing their members and getting the message out that voting for Question 6 is about treating people equally.”
The coalition plans to hold a day of action to reach voters in the state this Saturday.
Growth in the coalition continues as the Maryland Secretary of State this week released the ballot language for November. The language, which will appear as Question 6, asks voters to "allow gay and lesbian couples to obtain a civil marriage license.” Marriage equality advocates applauded the words’ clarity.
Recent polls show that a majority of Maryland voters, including the state’s substantial African-American population, support marriage equality. Opponents of the law have vowed to continue their push, however, and history indicates that groups such as the National Organization for Marriage send last-minute deluges of financial support.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 10 min 33 sec ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame 12 min 4 sec ago
- Politics Democratic 'Betrayal' Leaves Binational LGBT Families Stranded 23 min 26 sec ago
- Travel Peace Corps Opens to Same-Sex Couples 38 min 39 sec ago
- Commentary Why it's Time to Stop Stigmatizing Haitians 52 min 32 sec ago
- Health and Treatments Is There Such a Thing as HIV-Negative AIDS? 55 min 12 sec ago
- Religion Church of Scotland to Allow Gay Ministers 1 hour 7 min ago