Northwest NAACP Urges Washingtonians To Support Marriage Equality
BY Neal Broverman
October 24 2012 2:44 PM ET
The NAACP chapter representing Washington State, Oregon, and Alaska endorsed Referendum 74, which, if passed by voters next month, would legalize same-sex marriage in Washington.
The national chapter formally endorsed marriage equality in May, while the northwest chapter made their own announcement on Wednesday, days after their annual conference.
"The Alaska-Oregon-Washington State Area Conference of the NAACP officially endorsed Referendum 74," stated area conference president Oscar Eason, Jr. in a statement. “The NAACP has always been at the forefront of the battle for marriage equality. We fought for marriage equality in the 1960s when miscegenation laws blocked marriages between races and we continue to stand up for marriage equality today.”
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- WATCH: Finding the Funny in "Ex-Gay" Marriages and a Queerpocalypse
- Op-ed: The Long, Powerful History Between Labor and LGBT Activists
- Gay Women - News & Culture for Lesbian, Bisexual, and Trans Women
- Op-ed: Slut-Shaming Is a Cause of HIV