Northwest NAACP Urges Washingtonians To Support Marriage Equality
BY Neal Broverman
October 24 2012 2:44 PM ET
The NAACP chapter representing Washington State, Oregon, and Alaska endorsed Referendum 74, which, if passed by voters next month, would legalize same-sex marriage in Washington.
The national chapter formally endorsed marriage equality in May, while the northwest chapter made their own announcement on Wednesday, days after their annual conference.
"The Alaska-Oregon-Washington State Area Conference of the NAACP officially endorsed Referendum 74," stated area conference president Oscar Eason, Jr. in a statement. “The NAACP has always been at the forefront of the battle for marriage equality. We fought for marriage equality in the 1960s when miscegenation laws blocked marriages between races and we continue to stand up for marriage equality today.”
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM