PHOTOS: It's Wedding Day in Washington
BY Julie Bolcer
December 09 2012 11:09 AM ET
After a successful fight for marriage equality in the legislature, and then a ballot campaign that upheld the law, same-sex couples in Washington began to marry Sunday.
The wedding day followed the usual, mandatory three-day waiting period after obtaining licenses. Then, Emily and Sarah Cofer were the first to wed, according to USA Today. Superior Court Judge Mary Yu married the couple, both third-grade teachers, in Seattle at 12:04 a.m. with their nine-month-old daughter Carter present. The judge and her staff members, who had volunteered to work overnight, had 12 weddings scheduled through 7:30 a.m. Sunday.
Hundreds of couples were expected to marry throughout the state on Sunday, some in private affairs and others in large public events. Around 140 couples were expected to marry at City Hall in Seattle. Then 25 same-sex partners at Seattle's First Baptist Church exchanged vows during a mass wedding.
Washington voters upheld the marriage equality law in a referendum last month. Voters in Maine and Maryland also passed laws, making all three among the first to uphold marriage equality in a popular vote. Couples in Maine will begin marrying on December 29 and weddings will start in Maryland on January 1.
On the following pages, see photos from the jubilant mass wedding in Seattle.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon Like This
- Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM
- Business America's Best Places to Work, According to HRC December 09 2013 3:49 PM