WATCH: Jesse Tyler Ferguson Says Marriage Equality Is Defining Civil Rights Issue of Our Time
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 04 2013 4:11 PM ET
Modern Family star Jesse Tyler Ferguson isn't just a fashionable supporter of marriage equality, he's an outspoken advocate.
Speaking at the state capitol in Springfield, Ill. on Wednesday, the out actor told members of the press that both he and his character on Modern Family believe in marriage for all.
"I can't imagine anyone who's a fan of the show would want to deny Mitchell and Cameron the chance to get married," Ferguson told reporters gathered to cover the legislature's consideration of a same-sex marriage bill. "If for nothing else, for amazing TV. Because I'm sure Cam would plan a really spectacular wedding."
But Ferguson, who is busy planning his own nuptials to boyfriend Justin Mikita, with whom he also recently launched a line of bowties sold to support marriage equality called Tie The Knot, also got serious about the importance of same-sex marriage.
"All this movement forward right now really confirms for me that marriage equality is the defining civil rights movement of our time," continued Ferguson. "And now Illinois has a chance to be on the right side of history today."
A state senate committee did vote in favor of the marriage equality bill, but supporters delayed a full vote on the bill, saying key members were absent for the holidays. Advocates have promised to reintroduce the bill during the next legislative session, which starts next week.
Watch Ferguson's speech below.
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013
- Attackers Dismantle Roof of Moscow Gay Club
- Obama, Biden Won't Be at Olympics
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt Joins Film Adaptation of LGBT-Inclusive Comic Book
- Pope Removes Hard-Line Marriage Equality Opponent From Vatican Panel
- Year in Review Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013 2 hours 25 min ago
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 12 Excellent Gifts for Those Who Indulge 4:19 AM
- Women WATCH: Gaga & Xtina's Amazing '70s-era Lesbian Duet of "Do What U Want!" 2:04 AM
- Marriage Equality NOH8 Founders Adam Bouska & Jeff Parshley on Campaign's 5th Anniversary December 17 2013 9:23 PM
- Travel What's Hot in England for 2014 December 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Women WATCH: Adorable Lesbian Takes on How to Practice the Smells and Sounds of Sex! December 17 2013 8:10 PM
- Politics Obama, Biden Won't Be at Olympics December 17 2013 6:34 PM