The Supreme Court Will Return at 10 A.M. Tomorrow
BY Sunnivie Brydum
June 24 2013 9:57 AM ET
The Supreme Court did not issue rulings in either of two cases dealing with marriage equality today but could do so Tuesday at 10 a.m. Eastern.
In March the Court heard arguments in Hollingsworth v. Perry, the Proposition 8 case, and U.S. v. Windsor, the challenge to the Defense of Marriage Act. Because the cases are contentious and were argued late in the term, many court observers believe LGBT Americans won't get the much-awaited decision day until the last possible opportunity on the court's calendar. Reporters at SCOTUSBlog expect the court to add at least one more decision day this week, since the court still has six decisions to announce before the end of its term this month. SCOTUSBlog expects the court to announce a third decision day this week, likely scheduled for Wednesday or Thursday.
The Supreme Court did issue a ruling in Fisher v. University of Texas, Austin, the case dealing with affirmative action. In a 7-1 decision, the court reversed a decision by the lower court and found that UT Austin and other universities could consider race in their admission policies only if such policies are the only way to ensure diversity on campus, remanding the case to a lower court to reconsider the issue given the new SCOTUS guidance.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM