The Supreme Court Will Return at 10 A.M. Tomorrow
BY Sunnivie Brydum
June 24 2013 9:57 AM ET
The Supreme Court did not issue rulings in either of two cases dealing with marriage equality today but could do so Tuesday at 10 a.m. Eastern.
In March the Court heard arguments in Hollingsworth v. Perry, the Proposition 8 case, and U.S. v. Windsor, the challenge to the Defense of Marriage Act. Because the cases are contentious and were argued late in the term, many court observers believe LGBT Americans won't get the much-awaited decision day until the last possible opportunity on the court's calendar. Reporters at SCOTUSBlog expect the court to add at least one more decision day this week, since the court still has six decisions to announce before the end of its term this month. SCOTUSBlog expects the court to announce a third decision day this week, likely scheduled for Wednesday or Thursday.
The Supreme Court did issue a ruling in Fisher v. University of Texas, Austin, the case dealing with affirmative action. In a 7-1 decision, the court reversed a decision by the lower court and found that UT Austin and other universities could consider race in their admission policies only if such policies are the only way to ensure diversity on campus, remanding the case to a lower court to reconsider the issue given the new SCOTUS guidance.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 1 hour 36 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM