Watch As New Mexico Supreme Court Considers Marriage Equality
BY Sunnivie Brydum
October 23 2013 11:29 AM ET
Starting at 9 a.m. Mountain time this morning, the five justices of the New Mexico Supreme Court heard opening arguments regarding the status of marriage equality in the state. Albuquerque's KOAT is streaming the hearings live here.
Eight of New Mexico's 33 counties have been issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples since a Doña Ana County clerk began marrying those couples in mid-August, saying he didn't believe the state's marriage statutes expressly prohibited marriage equality, and that it was unconstitutional to deny gay and lesbian couples the right to marry.
Later in August, a district judge in Santa Fe ruled that the state’s constitution did not preclude same-sex couples from marrying. A district judge in Bernalillo County affirmed this ruling, agreeing that denying marriage equality violates key provisions in the state’s constitution on equality and gender-based discrimination.
The case before the state's highest court today was filed on behalf of six same-sex couples represented by the American Civil Liberties Union, the ACLU of New Mexico, and the National Center for Lesbian Rights, reports NBC. These couples contend that the court should consider a request by the New Mexico Association of Counties to determine if the right to marry extends to gay and lesbian couples in New Mexico.
However, a group of antigay lawmakers, led by Republican state senator William Sharer, are planning a lawsuit in an attempt to stop same-sex marriages in the state. “It is up the New Mexico state legislature, with the consent of the governor of New Mexico, to make laws and for county clerks and district court judges to abide by them,” he told Albuquerque's ABC affiliate, adding that clerks and judges “do not make the laws. It is inexplicable how a district court just today discovered a new definition of marriage in our laws, when our marriage law has not been changed in over a century.”
The Court is not expected to rule immediately after Wednesday's hearings, according to the Associated Press.
Watch today's hearing live at KOAT.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 1 hour 21 min ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 1 hour 36 min ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 1 hour 53 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 2 hours 11 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 2 hours 13 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 2 hours 43 min ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 5:02 PM