Bill O'Reilly Confused by the Difference Between Gays and Child Molesters
BY Lucas Grindley
August 29 2012 2:18 PM ET
Bill O'Reilly of Fox News seemed confused in an interview when told there's no basis for saying pedophilia is more of a gay problem than a straight one.
ThinkProgress points out that O'Reilly Monday night interviewed the Southern Poverty Law Center's Mark Potok, who leads its decision-making on which organizations should be labeled as "hate groups." SPLC had been the target of complaining by right-wing groups that the "hate group" moniker leads to attacks like a recent shooting at the Family Research Council.
Potok tried to explain to O'Reilly that FRC has a long history of distributing "flat-out lies" and "demonizing" information about LGBT people, including its regular conflation of gay people with child molesters.
"So they are pointing out that in this area, there is a higher percentage of gay pedophilia, homosexual pedophilia, than heterosexual pedophilia," O'Reilly said, as if he were citing a fact. "Are they a hate group for pointing that out?"
"But Bill, they’re not pointing something out that’s true," Potok said. "They’re making a false allegation."
Watch O'Reilly get confused in the video from Mediaite below.
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word
- WATCH: Zach Quinto, Jane Lynch, Ellen, and NPH Warn 'Voting Makes You Gay'
- Michigan Woman Sues Planet Fitness Over Trans-Inclusive Locker Room