Israel's Military Proudly Posts Photo of Two Soldiers Holding Hands
BY Lucas Grindley
June 12 2012 2:15 PM ET UPDATED: June 12 2012 3:32 PM ET
Israel's military posted a photo to its official Facebook account that may be a first for any fighting force.
"It's Pride Month," the caption reads, from the Israel Defense Forces. "Did you know that the IDF treats all of its soldiers equally?"
The photo from Monday shows two male soldiers walking together, holding hands. And it already has more than 8,000 likes, 6,000 shares and more than 1,000 comments because of the inevitable controversy.
The IDF has allowed gays and lesbians to serve openly since 1993, when it passed an anti-discrimination policy. That's the same year that "don't ask, don't tell" was signed into law in the United States.
The Times of Israel established that the photo was staged as part of a shoot for the military, and that only one of the men in the image is actually gay. That has some in the comments calling it "pink washing," a term used to describe using pro-equality stances to overshadow the ongoing conflict with Palestinians.
“The photo reflects the IDF’s open minded attitude towards soldiers of all sexual orientations," a military spokesman told the Times. "The IDF respects the privacy of the soldiers featured in the photograph, and will not comment on their identities.”
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM