NYC Bar Owned By Coop's BF Hosts 'GoGo' Obama Fundraiser
BY Neal Broverman
September 10 2012 12:19 PM ET
Eastern Bloc, the popular East Village bar, hosted a hip fundraiser for the president on Saturday, complete with dancers wearing Obama boxer-briefs.
The president wasn't in attendance, nor did it seem was Anderson Cooper, whose boyfriend, Ben Maisani, co-owns Eastern Bloc. The event charged $100 a head, attracted about 150 people, and raised at least $10,000 for the president's reelection efforts. The event was hosted by model Karen Elson, Harper's Bazaar editor Derek Blasberg, and Sean Avery, the hockey player and fashion fixture. Male dancers entertained the crowd wearing underwear festooned with the president's image.
“We do these parties for gay porn stars at Eastern Bloc whenever [they’re] in town from L.A.,” said event organizer Mickey Boardman, the editorial director of Paper magazine. “It’s always a room of Village gays, socialites, porn stars, fashion people. . . . We thought, ‘Why don’t we do a go-go thing at Eastern Bloc for [Obama]?’ ”
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- 14 Stunning Photos of LGBT Military Personnel