Nonprofit Unveils Rainbow House Beside Westboro Baptist Church
BY Sunnivie Brydum
March 19 2013 4:53 PM ET
Members of the antigay Westboro Baptist Church woke up to a technicolor surprise this morning, when a progressive nonprofit began painting a house directly across the street from Westboro's compound in the bright, bold colors of the rainbow flag.
Six months ago, Planting Peace, a nonprofit historically dedicated to environmental conservation, bought the house at 1200 S.W. Orleans St. in Topeka, Kan., directly across the street from the series of homes owned by Westboro members and the church itself, known as the Westboro "compound."
"I feel the Westboro Baptist Church is the poster child… that's pushing inequality," Planting Peace founder Aaron Jackson told The Advocate. "So I thought the best place to start was to counter the Westboro Baptist Church's message."
Jackson has been living in the house for the past month and a half, with the intent to turn it into The Equality House, a drop-in center that will support a variety of LGBT and antibullying efforts. Before that can happen, though, Jackson says he and his colleagues at Planting Peace want to raise $1 million to support existing equality and antibullying programs. Planting Peace has launched a CrowdRise page to support that goal, where the team has already raised more than $10,000. Find more photos of the house and information about the cause right here.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- Northern Ireland Lifts Ban on Same-Sex Couples Adopting
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 16 min 58 sec ago
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 1 hour 17 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 2 hours 17 min ago
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 2 hours 17 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM