Pennsylvania Pastor to Face Trial for Officiating Gay Son's Wedding
BY Jase Peeples
October 01 2013 12:52 PM ET
Six years ago, Rev. Frank Schaefer officiated his son’s same-sex wedding, and he is now being forced to stand trial before the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church for his support, reports Penn Live.
Schaefer, who is a pastor at Zion United Methodist Church of Iona, told the Lebanon Daily News the decision to officiate his son’s wedding in 2007 “was a tough decision in some sense,” but he felt he had to follow his heart” on the matter, noting, “The love for my son took over the fear of losing my job.”
However, Schaefer’s act of compassion for his son could mean the end of his ministerial career because his actions go against the United Methodist Church’s Book of Discipline, which forbids same-sex marriage.
Though Schaefer officiated his son’s wedding several years ago, he is only now being brought to trial because one of his congregants filed a complaint against him, 26 days before the church’s statute of limitations on a breach of discipline would have expired.
The United Methodist law prohibis clergy from officiating “ceremonies that celebrate homosexual unions,” and if a jury of Schaefer’s peers finds that he did not conform to church teachings, he could lose his ordination credentials.
However, the impending trial hasn’t caused Schaefer’s support of marriage equality to waiver. “To me this is a human rights issue,” he told Penn Live. “If being of a certain sexual orientation is who you are as a person, if that is genetic, who are we to say that these persons do not have the same rights as everybody else?”
Schaefer’s trial is scheduled for November 18.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 1 hour 38 min ago
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 2 hours 38 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 5:00 AM
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 5:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM