Fox Uses Mrs. Doubtfire Image to Mock Transpeople
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
January 17 2013 2:16 PM ET
Fox Nation, a website for Fox News, used an image from Mrs. Doubtfire, the film in which Robin Williams dons female drag in order to work as a nanny to his own children, to accompany a story about transgender healthcare, according to Media Matters, "adding to the website's long history of using offensive images to mock and demonize transgender people."
Media Matters reported that Fox Nation posted a Newsmax.com article describing new regulations in California and Oregon that require insurance companies to cover medically necessary treatments for transgender patients ln January 13. The article was accompanied by a photo of Mrs. Doubtfire's fake breasts aflame under serving pans, ostensibly to poke fun at trans people.
In response, Basic Rights Oregon launched a petition to demand that Fox "stop dehumanizing transgender people" and they linked to Equality Matter's long list of transphobic articles from Fox.
Fox removed the Doubtfire image, replacing it with an image of a stethoscope, two days later, but has yet to apologize.
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 7:00 AM
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 6:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 5:00 AM
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 5:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM