Fox Uses Mrs. Doubtfire Image to Mock Transpeople
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
January 17 2013 3:16 PM ET
Fox Nation, a website for Fox News, used an image from Mrs. Doubtfire, the film in which Robin Williams dons female drag in order to work as a nanny to his own children, to accompany a story about transgender healthcare, according to Media Matters, "adding to the website's long history of using offensive images to mock and demonize transgender people."
Media Matters reported that Fox Nation posted a Newsmax.com article describing new regulations in California and Oregon that require insurance companies to cover medically necessary treatments for transgender patients ln January 13. The article was accompanied by a photo of Mrs. Doubtfire's fake breasts aflame under serving pans, ostensibly to poke fun at trans people.
In response, Basic Rights Oregon launched a petition to demand that Fox "stop dehumanizing transgender people" and they linked to Equality Matter's long list of transphobic articles from Fox.
Fox removed the Doubtfire image, replacing it with an image of a stethoscope, two days later, but has yet to apologize.
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Experts Predict: Iran Will Remain Deadly
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Do New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Detainees?
- Study Urges U.S. Military to Reconsider Ban on Transgender Personnel
- Politics Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade 4 min 17 sec ago
- Women 5 Reasons to Watch (or Re-Watch) Veronica Mars Now That the Movie Is Out! 5 min 28 sec ago
- Theater These Gay Teen Lovers Are Nothing But Trash 7 min 49 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Out's Best-Dressed Man of the Week: Matt Bomer 19 min 29 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Gay Rapper Le1f Makes His Network TV Debut 19 min 41 sec ago
- Sports Major League Soccer Steps Up Fight Against Homophobia 21 min 20 sec ago
- Pride Cast Your Vote for SF Pride's Grand Marshal 22 min 53 sec ago