A Tribe in Peril: The Hijra in Mumbai
BY Alison McCauley
March 06 2014 7:05 AM ET
Ankita was a guru who died of an infection 15 days after surgery in a hospital. Her portrait hangs in one of the community offices used by The Humsafar Trust. Below on the white board is a reminder about a two-day training session for the hijras.
Boxes of condoms are ready to be distributed among the sex workers in the Wadala area of central Mumbai.
These wooden phalli are used by the trainers, who work for The Humsafar Trust, to demonstrate the correct way to put on a condom.
- Hot Sheet: Guardians and Go-Go Boys
- Artist Spotlight: Czanara
- Michelle Duggar Gets Verdict In Her Quest Against LGBT Ordinance in Ark.
- Top Filipino Singer-Actor Comes Out as a Transgender Man
- 10 Mushy Moments With Brittney Griner And Glory Johnson
- Michael Lannan's Looking Is More Than Gay Sex and the City