A Tribe in Peril: The Hijra in Mumbai
BY Alison McCauley
March 06 2014 7:05 AM ET
Ankita was a guru who died of an infection 15 days after surgery in a hospital. Her portrait hangs in one of the community offices used by The Humsafar Trust. Below on the white board is a reminder about a two-day training session for the hijras.
Boxes of condoms are ready to be distributed among the sex workers in the Wadala area of central Mumbai.
These wooden phalli are used by the trainers, who work for The Humsafar Trust, to demonstrate the correct way to put on a condom.
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Girl Scouts Return $100K When Donor Demands It 'Not Be Used' For Trans Girls
- WATCH: Mississippi Clerk Refuses to Wed Gay Couples, Quits After 24 Years
- Texas Pastor Who Threatened to Set Himself Aflame Now 'Loves' Gays
- George Takei Takes on Clarence Thomas and Donald Trump (and Wins!)
- Tennessee Hardware Store Puts Up 'No Gays Allowed' Sign