A Tribe in Peril: The Hijra in Mumbai
BY Alison McCauley
March 06 2014 6:05 AM ET
Ankita was a guru who died of an infection 15 days after surgery in a hospital. Her portrait hangs in one of the community offices used by The Humsafar Trust. Below on the white board is a reminder about a two-day training session for the hijras.
Boxes of condoms are ready to be distributed among the sex workers in the Wadala area of central Mumbai.
These wooden phalli are used by the trainers, who work for The Humsafar Trust, to demonstrate the correct way to put on a condom.
- Country Singer Billy Gilman Comes Out as Gay
- Artist Spotlight: Boots Bryant
- Country Music Star Ty Herndon Comes Out as Gay
- Transgender Day of Remembrance: Those We've Lost in 2014
- 90,000-Plus and Counting: Petition to Cancel Duggars' Show Gains Momentum
- Kansas Gov.: State Won't Recognize Same-Sex Marriages