A Tribe in Peril: The Hijra in Mumbai
BY Alison McCauley
March 06 2014 7:05 AM ET
Ankita was a guru who died of an infection 15 days after surgery in a hospital. Her portrait hangs in one of the community offices used by The Humsafar Trust. Below on the white board is a reminder about a two-day training session for the hijras.
Boxes of condoms are ready to be distributed among the sex workers in the Wadala area of central Mumbai.
These wooden phalli are used by the trainers, who work for The Humsafar Trust, to demonstrate the correct way to put on a condom.
- Hot Sheet: Demi-Vicious Pride
- Artist Spotlight: James Huctwith
- WATCH: Australian Model Ruby Rose Comes Out as Gender Fluid
- Tyler Oakley Could Be The First Gay Person You Ever Met
- Larry King Is Confused By Anna Paquin's 'Non-Practicing' Bisexuality
- The Daily Show's Unforgettable Takedown of Andrew Shirvell