BY Savas Abadsidis
September 04 2013 4:00 AM ET
Innovation is central to the LGBT experience. Whereas many of our non-queer counterparts were often able to move in well-worn paths through the worlds of commerce and business, LGBTs have long had to carve out places for ourselves.
Being out often meant being an outsider, and being an outsider often meant a choice: either remove ourselves from the world of business, or innovate, create, and take part in new and unexpected ways. And that outsider perspective can be instrumental in finding ways to innovate.
These LGBT innovators are making our world brighter, fairer, and more interesting by half.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- Mass. Lt. Gov. Candidate Backs Marriage Equality; Conservatives Object
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 32 min 19 sec ago
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 1 hour 33 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 1 hour 37 min ago
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 3:07 PM
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 3:02 PM
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 2:53 PM