Thousand-Plus Protest Antigay N.C. Preacher
BY Trudy Ring
May 28 2012 1:09 AM ET
More than 1,000 protesters gathered in Newton, N.C., Sunday to protest an antigay sermon by a minister in the nearby town of Maiden.
The demonstrators were objecting to a Mother’s Day sermon by Providence Road Baptist Church pastor Charles Worley, who advocated putting gays and lesbians in concentration camp–style settings. Video of the message went viral online.
“Build a great big, large fence — 50 or a 100 miles long — and put all the lesbians in there,” Worley said. “Fly over and drop some food. Do the same thing with the queers and the homosexuals — and have that fence electrified so they can’t get out. Feed ’em. And you know in a few years, they’ll die out. You know why? They can’t reproduce.”
Catawba County sheriff Coy Reid told North Carolina gay newspaper QNotes that he estimated 1,400-1,600 people attended the event, held at the county’s Government and Justice Center. The protest was originally scheduled for the church grounds but was moved to accommodate the expected large crowd.
Protesters chanted “Love, not hate” and sang religious songs to drown out a few dozen counterdemonstrators, QNotes reports. While there were some impassioned exchanges at the event, there were no arrests, although police issued a warning to an antigay street preacher for violating a noise ordinance.
Organizer Laura Tipton said she believed the protesters had made their statement effectively. “I hope that the LGBT community and anybody that is different and considers themselves an outsider knows that there is support and love for them,” she said. “I hope they know that in a small community, if this many people will come out to support them, they have love and acceptance everywhere.”
Read the full QNotes report here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM