Mom Tries to Help Gay Boy Scout Refused His Eagle Award
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
October 04 2012 2:19 PM ET
Karen Andresen couldn't be more proud of her son Ryan, a senior in high school, an honor student with great SAT scores, who's hoping to attend the University of San Francisco. But someone else doesn't agree.
Ryan joined the Boy Scouts when he was just 6 years old, Andresen says, "and since then, he's dreamed of earning his Eagle Award — the highest rank in the Boy Scouts. Ryan just completed the final requirements to earn his Eagle Award. But because he recently came out to his friends and family as gay, leaders from our local Boy Scout troop say they won't approve his Eagle Award."
This mom-turned-activist has launched a Change.org petition to get her son his Eagle Award; she says that when leadership in Troop 212 in the San Francisco Bay area found out that Ryan was gay, the scoutmaster said he refused to sign the official paperwork designating Ryan as an Eagle Scout, even though Ryan had completed all of the requirements.
A Boy Scout gets his Eagle by earning many badges, completing all lower scout rank requirements, and carrying out an approved final project. It was a 12-year process for Ryan, and for his final project he built a "Tolerance Wall" for his school to show victims of bullying (like Ryan himself) that they are not alone. "Ryan worked countless hours with elementary students to amass a wall of 288 unique tiles, all illustrating acts of kindness," says Andresen.
She's hoping that Ryan's troop could join some of the other scout troops in the U.S. that are "standing up, choosing to reject the Boy Scouts' discriminatory policy."
To sign the petition, go to Change.org.
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Russia's High Court Declares 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Constitutional
- Entertainment News Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad 58 min 54 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert on the Pressure for People Like Maria Bello to Come Out 1 hour 17 min ago
- Women Ms. Fit: A Lesbian-Friendly, Feminist Fitness Mag for All Women 1 hour 47 min ago
- Women Who Was Broadway Producer and Lesbian Cheryl Crawford? 1 hour 53 min ago
- Transgender How the Pacific Justice Institute Plans to Keep Demonizing Trans Kids 2 hours 4 min ago
- World News Russia's High Court: 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Is Constitutional 2 hours 13 min ago
- Entertainment News GBF's Michael J Willett Stripped Down to Cover of Natasha Bedingfield 2 hours 16 min ago