How Lesbians Took Back Buffalo
BY Lyndsey D'Arcangelo
January 31 2013 5:00 AM ET
Ambush at Cobblestone
Holdsworth’s Ambush movement has become so popular that bar and club owners are reaching out to her and asking to host an event. “We want to try and give business to gay-friendly places as much as we can,” she says. “And we also want to reach beyond Buffalo to neighboring cities, such as Rochester.”
What started out as simply finding an alternative bar or club to hang out at on a Friday night has become a growing brand. And the Ambush girls have high hopes for the future, which include a logo, T-shirts and other merchandise, and a variety of themed events.
“We have big plans for Pride,” says Fauth. “And I think it’s important for us to diversify, instead of just doing the bar and club scene.”
“The focus of the group will always be a monthly happy hour,” says Holdsworth. “But if [Ambush] keeps growing organically, then we will continue to grow with it. Pride is definitely something we want to be a part of. We want to create the biggest and best party we can, but we’ll have to start fund-raising for that. As a not-for-profit entity, which means we have to rely on the talents of others in the lesbian community for help and contributions.”
“Anyone can organize an Ambush community,” says Fauth. “I’m sure there are other cities like Buffalo where there’s a small lesbian community and they want to meet people.”
“Our community here in Buffalo is full of love, so if you’re ever in Buffalo, look us up,” adds Fregeaux.
If you are interested in learning more about the Ambush movement, visit AmbushBuffalo.com.
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer March 14 2014 4:37 PM
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples March 14 2014 4:14 PM