Fab or Fail? 2013's Cultural Ups and Downs
BY Michelle Garcia
December 20 2013 10:13 AM ET
Fabulous: Macklemore and Mary Lambert's "Same Love"
Barely known Seattle rapper Macklemore first captured our hearts with "Same Love," an unflinching anthem heralding marriage equality and humanity toward others, backed by the lovely vocals of lesbian singer Mary Lambert. The song became an anthem during the fight to establish marriage equality in Washington State. The song hit the hip-hop charts, along with a handful of his other hits like "Thrift Shop," and "Can't Hold Us," but hearing "Same Love" was the first time many people fell in love with Macklemore.
Fail: Michelle Shocked
Punk-folk singer Michelle Shocked first told an audience at a San Francisco area jazz club that marriage equality would doom us all, to the dismay of legions of loyal LGBT fans. She continued to defend her stance, even as music venues canceled planned shows.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Freddy Krave Is His Own Best Model
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View