Alec Baldwin, MSNBC Part Ways
BY Michelle Garcia
November 26 2013 4:37 PM ET
Earlier this month, Baldwin's Up Late show was suspended for two weeks after he apologized for reportedly calling the photographer a "cocksucking little fag." The next day, Baldwin said his "offensive, unacceptable" behavior occurred when he was trying to protect his family.
"Behavior like this undermines hard-fought rights that I vigorously support," he said.
Baldwin's representative said in the statement that the actor-host and the network have parted ways. A statement from MSNBC said the decision was a "mutual parting, and we wish Alec all the best."
Baldwin is well known for his liberal politics, including support for LGBT rights, but he also has a history of using antigay slurs when angry. Last summer, for instance, he called a British reporter a “toxic little queen,” among other things, and he also used “queen” in reference to a New York Daily News editor. Regarding the latest incident, he initially claimed he called the photographer “fathead” instead of “fag” and asserted he did not know that “cocksucking” had an antigay connotation. He received condemnation from several organizations and people, including GLAAD, CNN journalist Anderson Cooper, and gay columnist Andrew Sullivan.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 10 min 14 sec ago
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 51 min 40 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 56 min 50 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 2 hours 14 min ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2 hours 53 min ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court UPDATED: 2:12 PM
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 1:48 PM