WATCH: Tony Perkins Lies to Soledad O'Brien in Row Over Boy Scouts Gay Ban
BY Sunnivie Brydum
February 06 2013 11:56 AM ET
CNN anchor Soledad O'Brien today verbally sparred with Tony Perkins, president of the antigay Family Research Council, over the Boy Scouts of America's ban on gay Scouts and troop leaders.
Responding to Perkinss' assertion that having gay scoutmasters "doesn't pass the parent test" because gay men are attracted to males, O'Brien asked if Perkins was saying that all gay people are pedophiles.
"No, I never said that," replies Perkins. "You said that. … We've never said that all homosexuals are pedophiles, or that all pedophiles are homosexuals."
That's simply not true. Perkins has frequently equated homosexuality and pedophilia, and in 2012 alleged the BSA's ban on gay scouts was an issue of "security" to protect "boys victimized by same-sex predators."
Watch the tense exchange below.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Op-ed: The Decade Masturbation Burst Out of the Closet Before I Did
- These 48 Trans Women and Men Changed the World
- Transgender Pioneer and Stone Butch Blues Author Leslie Feinberg Has Died
- Outrage After Idaho Trans Woman Buried 'As a Man'
- Op-ed: How Gay Genius Alan Turing Got Me Through Middle School