Fleet Week Special: Swabbie Art
BY Christopher Harrity
May 24 2014 4:00 AM ET
We are smack gob in the middle of Fleet Week in NYC (May 21 through May 27). Fleet Week is a U.S. Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard tradition in which active military ships recently deployed in overseas operations dock in a variety of major cities for one week. Once the ships dock, the crews can enter the city and visit its tourist attractions. And so you have a city swarming with swabbies. Even Carrie on Sex and the City (almost) gets into the action. To help celebrate and support our seamen, we have assembled a collection of art and photography devoted to the men at sea.
Vintage sailors enjoying the fit of a good sailor's uniform.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Artist Spotlight: Kent Monkman
- Hot Sheet: They Are Risen
- Couple Indicted Over Torture Death of 8-Year-Old They Thought Was Gay
- Homophobe Scott Lively Will Be on Ballot for Mass. Governor
- Philly-Area Trans Teen Commits Suicide on Train Tracks