Artist Spotlight: Darren Jones
BY Christopher Harrity
August 10 2013 4:00 AM ET
Mourning Wood, 2013
18" x 24"
Atmospheric shots of the infamous Meatrack between the Pines and Cherry Grove abound, but here the double meaning of the title of the work — slang for a morning erection / the grieving process - acknowledges two facets of the forest's history. Firstly, as a clandestine meeting place for gay men to meet for sex, and also as a place of reflection, memorial and remembrance to those who fell to AIDS.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- WATCH: 'Christian' Family's Terrifying Response to Son Coming Out
- Artist Spotlight: Paul Reitz
- Hot Sheet: It's Ryan Time Again
- #27BiStories: Why a Bisexual's Sexual Orientation Is Still Important Even If They're in a Relationship
- 11 Best Moments From the Marriage Argument Everyone's Talking About