Artist Spotlight: Darren Jones
BY Christopher Harrity
August 10 2013 4:00 AM ET
Mourning Wood, 2013
18" x 24"
Atmospheric shots of the infamous Meatrack between the Pines and Cherry Grove abound, but here the double meaning of the title of the work — slang for a morning erection / the grieving process - acknowledges two facets of the forest's history. Firstly, as a clandestine meeting place for gay men to meet for sex, and also as a place of reflection, memorial and remembrance to those who fell to AIDS.
- Duggar Show Pulled From TLC Schedule, Could Be Canceled
- For YouTube's 10th Birthday, the 10 Best LGBT Videos
- PHOTOS: Let's Take a Long Look at Long Beach Pride
- 25 Unforgettable Gay TV Kisses
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- WATCH: Oregon Gov. Emotionally Signs Conversion Therapy Ban Into Law