Artist Spotlight: Darren Jones
BY Christopher Harrity
August 10 2013 4:00 AM ET
Mourning Wood, 2013
18" x 24"
Atmospheric shots of the infamous Meatrack between the Pines and Cherry Grove abound, but here the double meaning of the title of the work — slang for a morning erection / the grieving process - acknowledges two facets of the forest's history. Firstly, as a clandestine meeting place for gay men to meet for sex, and also as a place of reflection, memorial and remembrance to those who fell to AIDS.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Rep. Steve King Wants Congress to Denounce Supreme Court's Marriage Equality Ruling
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing It Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- WATCH: S.C. Senator Uses Confederate Flag Debate to Deliver Antigay Rant
- 15 More Queers and Allies to Watch in 2015
- President Obama Has Not Called for LGBT National Holiday