Artist Spotlight: Darren Jones
BY Christopher Harrity
August 10 2013 4:00 AM ET
Mourning Wood, 2013
18" x 24"
Atmospheric shots of the infamous Meatrack between the Pines and Cherry Grove abound, but here the double meaning of the title of the work — slang for a morning erection / the grieving process - acknowledges two facets of the forest's history. Firstly, as a clandestine meeting place for gay men to meet for sex, and also as a place of reflection, memorial and remembrance to those who fell to AIDS.
- #TBT: Hollywood Hunks Laid Bare: 1920s-1930s
- Lesbian Feminist Cathy Brennan Sues AfterEllen for Defamation
- Thousands Rally in S.C. to 'Stand With God' Against Marriage Equality
- PHOTOS: Equality Advocates Picket Antigay Kentucky Clerk
- WATCH: Is CNN Coverage of Virginia Gunman Homophobic?
- 60 Music Videos That Raised LGBT Visibility