Artist Spotlight: Vincent Keith
BY Christopher Harrity
January 25 2014 4:00 AM ET
Vincent Keith of Mascular makes portraits that look like an open window. He says:
"Portraitists tend to fall into two categories, those trying to reveal what is hidden and those who try to highlight what is there. I fall into the latter category. I think everything about a character is there to see — plainly. It's just knowing how to look. My objective in taking a portrait is not to 'get behind the veneer' — I question if that is indeed possible or desirable. Do we really see 'truth'? Most people I photograph have no idea what they look like. When you picture yourself in your mind, do you look like the person in the mirror? I certainly don't. A good portrait is a beautiful thing. This may be why I find portraiture the most rewarding area of photography."
Click through for more portraits. >>>
- 5 James Baldwin Quotes That Foreshadowed Ferguson
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Another Lap for Michael Phelps’s Self-Proclaimed Girlfriend
- Texas AG: Same-Sex Couples' Request to Marry 'Untimely, Out of Order'
- Why the Mississippi Marriage Win Is Our Most Important Yet
- STUDY: Gay Sex Helps Humans Bond and Survive