Artist Spotlight: Vincent Keith
BY Christopher Harrity
January 25 2014 5:00 AM ET
Vincent Keith of Mascular makes portraits that look like an open window. He says:
"Portraitists tend to fall into two categories, those trying to reveal what is hidden and those who try to highlight what is there. I fall into the latter category. I think everything about a character is there to see — plainly. It's just knowing how to look. My objective in taking a portrait is not to 'get behind the veneer' — I question if that is indeed possible or desirable. Do we really see 'truth'? Most people I photograph have no idea what they look like. When you picture yourself in your mind, do you look like the person in the mirror? I certainly don't. A good portrait is a beautiful thing. This may be why I find portraiture the most rewarding area of photography."
Click through for more portraits. >>>
- WATCH: This Indiana Pizzeria Won't Cater Gay Weddings
- More Celebs Tweet Off on Indiana
- An Open Letter from a Transgender Rabbi to Trans Teens Everywhere
- WATCH: Conan's Hilarious Interview With Indiana's 'Religious Freedom Czar'
- Ellen's 11 Most Uproarious, April Fool's-Approved Pranks
- WATCH: Seth Meyers Takes Down Indiana's New Antigay Legislation