Especially for You, It All Goes Backwards on Broadway
BY Christopher Harrity
March 05 2012 2:35 AM ET
Broadway Backwards, an annual benefit performance, features some of Broadway's biggest names singing songs originally written for the opposite gender: women singing songs written for men and men singing songs written for women. But, more importantly, at Broadway Backwards women sing about other women and men sing about other men.
Broadway Backwards gives its audience a chance to experience some of the most treasured songs of the Great White Way in a new context. The event is produced by Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS and will benefit that organization and the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Community Center of New York City. Last year's show raised a record-breaking $281,243 for the groups.
The star-studded line-up for this year's event, Broadway Backwards 7, will include Tony Award nominees Adam Pascal and Andrew Rannells, and two-time Emmy Award–winning comedian Bruce Vilanch.
Broadway Backwards 7 is not just another night on Broadway. It's the only Broadway event custom-made for gays and lesbians, their friends, and their families. Creator Robert Bartley will again direct and choreograph this special evening with musical direction by Mary-Mitchell Campbell.
This year's edition also will include performances by Bryan Batt, Sierra Boggess, Mario Cantone, Robin De Jesús, Shawna Hamic, and Telly Leung. Additional performers will be announced in the coming weeks. This year's event is tonight at 8 p.m. at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre, 302 W. 45th St., New York.
We hope you enjoy this gallery of images from some of the great performances over the years. For more information and for tickets: BroadwayCares.org/Backwards2012
- Film Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity 58 min 48 sec ago
- Current Issue A Letter to My Partners 1 hour 57 min ago
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 2 hours 58 min ago
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 4:00 AM
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM