Especially for You, It All Goes Backwards on Broadway
BY Christopher Harrity
March 05 2012 2:35 AM ET
Broadway Backwards, an annual benefit performance, features some of Broadway's biggest names singing songs originally written for the opposite gender: women singing songs written for men and men singing songs written for women. But, more importantly, at Broadway Backwards women sing about other women and men sing about other men.
Broadway Backwards gives its audience a chance to experience some of the most treasured songs of the Great White Way in a new context. The event is produced by Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS and will benefit that organization and the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Community Center of New York City. Last year's show raised a record-breaking $281,243 for the groups.
The star-studded line-up for this year's event, Broadway Backwards 7, will include Tony Award nominees Adam Pascal and Andrew Rannells, and two-time Emmy Award–winning comedian Bruce Vilanch.
Broadway Backwards 7 is not just another night on Broadway. It's the only Broadway event custom-made for gays and lesbians, their friends, and their families. Creator Robert Bartley will again direct and choreograph this special evening with musical direction by Mary-Mitchell Campbell.
This year's edition also will include performances by Bryan Batt, Sierra Boggess, Mario Cantone, Robin De Jesús, Shawna Hamic, and Telly Leung. Additional performers will be announced in the coming weeks. This year's event is tonight at 8 p.m. at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre, 302 W. 45th St., New York.
We hope you enjoy this gallery of images from some of the great performances over the years. For more information and for tickets: BroadwayCares.org/Backwards2012
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 48 min 18 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 1 hour 13 min ago
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 1 hour 47 min ago
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM