BY Albert Smith
April 10 2010 5:00 AM ET
Between the mid 60's and the end of the 80's, Ara Gallant (1932-1990) revolutionized fashion publishing, first as a hairstylist and makeup artist and later as a photographer for magazines such as Vogue, Interview, Playboy and Rolling Stone. A figure well known in the fashion world and among Hollywood actors, after his death Gallant dropped into oblivion. This monograph, edited by David Wills and published by Damiani, presents for the first time an all-round portrait of a multifaceted genius, with a wide selection of images and testimonials from people who knew and worked with him. For years a close collaborator with Richard Avedon — to such an extent that they were known on the scene as a single entity, "Aradon" — Gallant handled the styling of a great many photographic sets, inventing visionary hairstyles for the most famous models of the time, such as Twiggy and Veruschka: the book includes five shots by the master (including an unpublished portrait of Anjelica Huston) that bear witness to this extraordinary professional and artistic partnership.
Take a sneak peak here.
Appolonia von Ravenstein, Playboy, 1977
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 46 min 37 sec ago
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 53 min 37 sec ago
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 1 hour 56 min ago
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 2 hours 13 min ago
- Crime Arrest Made in Latest Antigay Attack in NYC 2 hours 24 min ago
- Youth Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business 2 hours 28 min ago
- Youth Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids 2 hours 44 min ago