Maggie Griffin: Out of the Box
BY Jeremy Kinser
June 30 2010 4:10 PM ET
Who’s your best gay friend now?
There’s a funny story in the book about Kathy’s good friend Tom Murphy. He was very active in the choir and the drama club in high school. They were doing Dames at Sea and Tom was in it with a lot of girls. I said to my husband that Tom was prettier than any of the girls onstage. Yet I honestly never thought of him as being gay. He was just a high school kid who was good-looking. I didn’t have a clue. Then I found out, and we’re the best of friends today.
I have to confess that I’m surprised you’re such a fan of Bill O’Reilly. He’s not exactly fighting on the side of the angels. What is it about him that you like?
My boyfriend Bill O’Reilly? It drives Kathy nuts when I say that. I think he’s cute and has a nice sense of humor. I think he’s very smart. Kathy almost cries when I say that he’s fair and balanced. As much as I like him, I honestly don’t agree with everything he says. Not at all. I disagree with him on a lot of things, but I like his personality. Oh, to answer your earlier question, that’s one of the things I do that embarrasses Kathy. She’s very ashamed of me for saying that.
You were raised Catholic and still have strong Catholic beliefs, yet you’re in favor of marriage equality and gay rights. How have you reconciled your personal feelings with the way the church feels about gay people?
I hate it and it’s depressing. It’s very embarrassing to most Catholics, and many of my friends have been driven away from the church. It’s wrong, wrong, wrong and [the church] is paying for it. I don’t want to give it up. I love my religion. They have to remember that these are human beings. You have to keep in mind the good things the church teaches and discard the other stuff.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates?
- New York Officials Demand Olympic Sponsors Take Action
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 1 hour 13 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 1 hour 13 min ago
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 1 hour 14 min ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM