Maggie Griffin: Out of the Box
BY Jeremy Kinser
June 30 2010 5:10 PM ET
Who’s your best gay friend now?
There’s a funny story in the book about Kathy’s good friend Tom Murphy. He was very active in the choir and the drama club in high school. They were doing Dames at Sea and Tom was in it with a lot of girls. I said to my husband that Tom was prettier than any of the girls onstage. Yet I honestly never thought of him as being gay. He was just a high school kid who was good-looking. I didn’t have a clue. Then I found out, and we’re the best of friends today.
I have to confess that I’m surprised you’re such a fan of Bill O’Reilly. He’s not exactly fighting on the side of the angels. What is it about him that you like?
My boyfriend Bill O’Reilly? It drives Kathy nuts when I say that. I think he’s cute and has a nice sense of humor. I think he’s very smart. Kathy almost cries when I say that he’s fair and balanced. As much as I like him, I honestly don’t agree with everything he says. Not at all. I disagree with him on a lot of things, but I like his personality. Oh, to answer your earlier question, that’s one of the things I do that embarrasses Kathy. She’s very ashamed of me for saying that.
You were raised Catholic and still have strong Catholic beliefs, yet you’re in favor of marriage equality and gay rights. How have you reconciled your personal feelings with the way the church feels about gay people?
I hate it and it’s depressing. It’s very embarrassing to most Catholics, and many of my friends have been driven away from the church. It’s wrong, wrong, wrong and [the church] is paying for it. I don’t want to give it up. I love my religion. They have to remember that these are human beings. You have to keep in mind the good things the church teaches and discard the other stuff.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Ushering in a New Year Money Minute 26 min 8 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 40 min 31 sec ago
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 1 hour 1 min ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM