Eminem and Elton speak up
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 13 2001 1:00 AM ET
Eminems performance with Sir Elton John at the Grammy Awards later this month continues to dominate headlines. BBC News reports that rapper Eminem, currently on tour in the United Kingdom and the subject of controversy over lyrics on The Marshall Mathers LP that some activists consider to be homophobic, responded to questioning about his attitude toward gay men by saying, To be honest, I dont think about gay men. I only said that shit to piss people off. They just dont get it. Its all right, though. According to E! Online, Eminem also told a TV interviewer, As far as Elton John liking my shit, I think its beautiful. I think he gets the joke, and I respect him as an artist. John, meanwhile, has told the Los Angeles Times that the idea to perform a duet was Eminems. Im a big fan of his music, said John, and I said I would be delighted to. Taking issue with Johns endorsement of Eminem is the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamationspokesperson Scott Seomin, according to E! Online, says he has contacted Johns manager and publicist, saying that GLAAD would be appalled if the Elton-Eminem duet happens, particularly since the group honored John last year with the Vito Russo Award, recognizing his work in fighting homophobia. Weve made it quite clear to his manager and publicist that if he is indeed considering it, to please reconsider, says Seomin. Sir Elton John has played an enormous role in educating the world about gay issues through his music and incredible charitable work. If he performs, his actions would violate the spirit of the [Russo] award. John apparently anticipated such a response, telling the Los Angeles Times, I know Im going to get a lot of flak from various people who are going to picket the show. If I thought for one minute that he was [hateful], I wouldnt do it.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! 1 hour 23 min ago
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. 1 hour 26 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 1 hour 48 min ago
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 1 hour 52 min ago
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 6:34 PM
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 5:39 PM
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 5:22 PM