Dame Edna wins touring award
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 24 2001 12:00 AM ET
Backstage.com reports that two of the National Broadway Theatre Awards, a new award given to touring productions and voted on by audience members around the country, have been given to the exceedingly gay-accessible production Dame Edna: The Royal Tour. The show won for both best play and for best actor (Barry Humphries). Dame Edna is fond of referring to her waiterflight attendantcostume designer son, Kenny, and even features a production number with the chorus Any friend of Kennys is a friend of mine. This apparently proved no problem to the metaphorical little old ladies from Dubuque who constitute the audience for national tours.
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- Texas Gay Man, 32, Dies in Custody After Being Denied Medication
- Iowa Couple Plans 1,000 Antigay Billboards
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Alabama's Antigay Judge Roy Moore Slapped With New Ethics Charges