Elton: I'm too old to adopt a child
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 18 2001 11:00 PM ET
In an interview published Tuesday, out pop star Elton John told a Swedish tabloid that, at 54, he is too old to adopt a child but that he would have done so 20 years ago, according to Reuters. John told Aftonbladet that he and partner David Furnish have had several discussions about adopting, "but I have come to the conclusion that it is too late for me," said John. "Had it been 20 years ago, then I would definitely have done it.... I don't want to be 70 years old when my daughter turns 16." John went on to say that his celebrity and his extensive traveling would make child rearing difficult. His new album, Songs From the West Coast, criticizes discrimination against gays and lesbians. "I am proud to be gay," said the singer, "but at the same time, I don't live for being gay."
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View