Explicit art exhibit raises hackles in England
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 26 2002 1:00 AM ET
A video by artist Santiago Sierra in which 10 Cuban men perform a sex act is drawing criticism in Birmingham, England, according to BBC News. City councilor Deidre Alden is consulting local police to see if the art exhibit can be stopped: "It's certainly controversial, but I don't think that it makes it good art," she said. "If children are allowed in a cinema with adult supervision, as it says in the Ikon Gallery, it would be a PG, and I don't think that such a thing would be shown in a PG film."
Gallery director Jonathan Watkins says the work confronts difficult issues about the sex industry and that opponents are overreacting. "This will be nothing new to 12-, 13-, and 14-year-olds," said Watkins. "The idea that only adults should see this material is ludicrous. This work is not about exciting people; it is not in the least bit titillating; it's making a serious point about the exploitation of people in the sex industry in the Third World."
Artist Sierra paid a standard wage to groups of workers, including prostitutes, to perform "repetitive and intrusive" acts for the video. A spokesman for West Midlands Police said they would look into the matter if they receive a complaint.
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer March 14 2014 4:37 PM
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples March 14 2014 4:14 PM