Explicit art exhibit raises hackles in England
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 26 2002 12:00 AM ET
A video by artist Santiago Sierra in which 10 Cuban men perform a sex act is drawing criticism in Birmingham, England, according to BBC News. City councilor Deidre Alden is consulting local police to see if the art exhibit can be stopped: "It's certainly controversial, but I don't think that it makes it good art," she said. "If children are allowed in a cinema with adult supervision, as it says in the Ikon Gallery, it would be a PG, and I don't think that such a thing would be shown in a PG film."
Gallery director Jonathan Watkins says the work confronts difficult issues about the sex industry and that opponents are overreacting. "This will be nothing new to 12-, 13-, and 14-year-olds," said Watkins. "The idea that only adults should see this material is ludicrous. This work is not about exciting people; it is not in the least bit titillating; it's making a serious point about the exploitation of people in the sex industry in the Third World."
Artist Sierra paid a standard wage to groups of workers, including prostitutes, to perform "repetitive and intrusive" acts for the video. A spokesman for West Midlands Police said they would look into the matter if they receive a complaint.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 28 min 16 sec ago
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 44 min 9 sec ago
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM