Tim Gunn Book on Celibacy, Antigay Dad
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 03 2010 10:20 AM ET
In his new book Project Runway mentor Tim Gunn makes surprising revelations about his celibate life and his homophobic father, who served as a ghostwriter for FBI director J. Edgar Hoover.
The New York Daily News spoke with Gunn and previewed the new book, Gunn’s Golden Rules: Life’s Little Lessons for Making It Work, published by Gallery Books.
According to the Daily News, “The author’s father served as an FBI special agent and ghostwriter for the legendary chief of the organization, J. Edgar Hoover. In his book Gunn speculates on Hoover’s alleged homosexuality and wonders about his dad’s own [sexual] orientation. ‘You have to wonder about the identity of an individual who’s so blatantly homophobic,’ he says of his father. 'Then there’s the whole Hoover FBI, with all these really good-looking men. It’s a little spooky like Hoover’s handpicked club.’”
In addition, Gunn also talks about being satisfied with his celibate life.
“Gunn also writes about a terrible relationship he had over 20 years ago, which ended with a betrayal so wounding, he has not risked a romantic involvement since. It’s been decades since he has had sex, he says, though he stresses he’s happy with the decision.”
As expected, the book also contains plenty of fashion industry gossip about figures like Vogue editor Anna Wintour, designer Isaac Mizrahi, and Martha Stewart’s daughter, Alexis.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM