Inspiration Chooses Male Dance Partner
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 12 2011 10:45 AM ET
Alfons Haider, the gay Austrian TV celebrity believed to have inspired Sacha Baron Cohen's Bruno character, has selected a man to be his partner on the country's next TV dance contest.
According to Reuters, Haider told the Oesterreich newspaper, "I am going to dance with a heterosexual. This is not about being gay. I do not want my appearance on the show to be reduced to homosexuality. This is about the show, about entertainment. I am not the gay Joan of Arc."
Haider chose dance professional Balazs Ekker to be his partner on the Dancing Stars show, which he has hosted in the past.
Reuters reported that it was unclear which man would lead.
"There is no 100 percent answer to this because no one has done this before," Ekker told Oesterreich. "But there is no way I am going to don a skirt and stockings to give the impression we're normal."
- Ellen's 11 Most Uproarious, April Fool's-Approved Pranks
- Mike Pence 'Abhors' Discrimination? His Record Shows Otherwise
- Op-ed: 'Religious Discrimination' Laws Have Nothing to Do With Religion
- Arkansas Governor Won't Sign Bill — Yet
- Frankie Grande: Smoking 'Ain't Cute,' Guys
- Nevada Becomes 6th State to Introduce Transphobic Legislation This Year