What's Gay About The Golden Globes
BY Sunnivie Brydum
December 13 2012 5:07 PM ET
The Hollywood Foreign Press Association announced the nominees for the 2013 Golden Globes Awards this morning, which will air January 13 at 8 p.m. EST on NBC. The awards show will be hosted by 30 Rock's Tina Fey and Parks and Recreation's my Poehler, both of whom are nominated for best actress in a comedy series.
There's plenty of LGBT actors, writers, characters, and plotlines among the nominees. Perhaps the most prominent is out writer Tony Kushner, who is not only nominated for best screenplay, but whose biopic Lincoln earned an impressive seven nominations.
Other notable nominations include Modern Family, once again nominated for best TV comedy, and whose Eric Stonestreet was nominated for best supporting actor for his role as gay dad Cam. Out actor Jim Parsons also scored a nomination for best actor in a TV comedy, as did his show, The Big Bang Theory. Also up for consideration in the Best TV Comedy or Musical category is Smash, penned by gay writers
Out lesbian Sarah Paulson was nominated for best supporting actress for her role as a (literally) tortured lesbian on American Horror Story: Asylum, as is Archie Punjabi, who plays bisexual Kalinda on The Good Wife.
There's an abundance of other gay characters and gay-adjacent nominees, including The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, which features a gay main character, and Les Miserables, starring LGBT ally (and sister to a gay brother) Anne Hathaway, among the contenders for best musical or comedy picture.
Read the entire list of nominees on the next page.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 1 hour 22 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 2 hours 18 min ago
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 2 hours 52 min ago
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 2 hours 52 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 2 hours 52 min ago
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1:06 AM
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM