Holidays—It Should Be So Nice
BY Advocate Contributors
October 13 2010 4:00 AM ET
Serving a fantastic vegetarian or vegan holiday meal that even meat lovers will love
There are so many amazing vegetables available—you don’t need to add ham or bacon to them to make them taste good. There are also the mock meats like tofurkey, which gives things a twist. It gets a bad rep because the name sounds funny, but if you make it the right way, it’s just terrific. One thing I like to do is make stuffing, like cornbread stuffing, into a main course. You can add veggie sausage and celery to it to make it heartier—that’s my personal favorite, and people really like it too. Also, check out VegCooking.com/Holiday-Meals.asp for recipes. If you’re going home with a partner for the first time and worried about what might ensue from the whole gay thing, there’s nothing more distracting than springing on the family that a vegan is coming to dinner.
Dan Mathews, senior vice president of campaigns for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA.org)
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Leslie Jordan Banishes Antigay Starbucks Patrons: 'Get Out of My House!'
- Omar Sharif Jr. Featured on Arabic TV News
- Living Trans, From Iran to New York City
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Op-ed: The Far-Reaching Consequences of Dating App Racism