WATCH: The Impact of LGBT Films is 'Immeasurable'
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 12 2012 1:19 PM ET
As the curtain raises tonight to celebrate thirty years of Outfest, Executive Director Kirsten Schaffer says the country's leading LGBT film festival is more vital than ever and its impact is "immeasurable."
Since its inception in 1982 the festival has entertained over one million people and shown more than 5,000 films, many of which have obtained distribution and been shown around the world. "The ripple effect of that is immeasurable—the number of lives that it has impacted," Shaffer says.
While noting that LGBT characters have become more visible on television and in mainstream film, supporting independent queer cinema is still important. "The characters we tend to see in mainstream venues are mainstream characters, they appeal to a really wide audience, Schaffer states. "What we see at Outfest is a really diverse variety of characters. We see characters from places in the world we're not hearing from very often."
For screening information go to Outfest.org. Watch Schaffer discuss the festival below.
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- PHOTOS: Pride From France to Italy to Greece
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend 2 hours 7 min ago
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 12:50 AM
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini June 19 2013 11:38 PM
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM