WATCH: The Impact of LGBT Films is 'Immeasurable'
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 12 2012 12:19 PM ET
As the curtain raises tonight to celebrate thirty years of Outfest, Executive Director Kirsten Schaffer says the country's leading LGBT film festival is more vital than ever and its impact is "immeasurable."
Since its inception in 1982 the festival has entertained over one million people and shown more than 5,000 films, many of which have obtained distribution and been shown around the world. "The ripple effect of that is immeasurable—the number of lives that it has impacted," Shaffer says.
While noting that LGBT characters have become more visible on television and in mainstream film, supporting independent queer cinema is still important. "The characters we tend to see in mainstream venues are mainstream characters, they appeal to a really wide audience, Schaffer states. "What we see at Outfest is a really diverse variety of characters. We see characters from places in the world we're not hearing from very often."
For screening information go to Outfest.org. Watch Schaffer discuss the festival below.
- Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Politics Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year 43 min 33 sec ago
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM