White Castle, Carl's Jr: Fast Food Companies Run By Right Wingers
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
August 05 2012 4:12 PM ET
With all the debate raging around Chick-fil-A this month, LGBT activists and their allies are wondering if there are other fast food eateries that also offer up draconian anti-equality philosophies and give donations to antigay candidates or causes. Thankfully Lauren Kelley, the activism and gender editor at AlterNet, pulled together a list of five food companies run by radical right wingers."who’ve spent significant money opposing gay rights, abortion rights, and other important causes and funding attack ads against left-leaning politicians."
Among Alternet's top four:
1. Chick-fil-A: Founder S. Truett Cathy puts his money where his mouth is when it comes to antigay organizing.
2. Carl’s Jr.: Founder Carl Karcher, who died in 2008, writes Kelley, had been a supporter of anti-abortion causes, like Operation Rescue, for decades. He also had a mean anti-gay streak as well, she says, and "gay rights groups dubbed his hamburgers 'bigot burgers' after Karcher supported a 1978 proposition that would have allowed school boards to fire teachers who were gay or advocated homosexuality."
3. White Castle: According to a ThinkProgress report on brands that give to radical ring wing causes, White Castle helped bankroll right wing attack ads giving $25,000 to the Congressional Leadership Fund super PAC, a group linked to House Speaker John Boehner, which supports conservative candidates in the upcoming election.
4. Waffle House: Also mentioned by ThinkProgress, says Kelley, has given $100,000 this election cycle to the Karl Rove super PAC American Crossroads.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Judge Rules Homeless Jamaican LGBT Youth Can Keep Living in Sewers
- Right-Wingers Call Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Film
- WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer'
- Gay Politics - Marriage Equality, Gay Rights, Anti-Discrimination
- WATCH: 20 Strangers Kiss for the First Time
- Religion Op-Ed: Pope's Legacy Will Be That He's Willing to Listen 1 hour 32 min ago
- Women WATCH: Isn't Beyoncé 'Bossy' - She's 'The BOSS' in New PSA to Empower Girls March 12 2014 8:04 PM
- World Explore Iran's Gay Underground Railroad March 12 2014 7:29 PM
- Film Is Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Manifesto? March 12 2014 7:25 PM
- Women WATCH: Is There Anyone a Pansexual Won't Date? March 12 2014 7:18 PM
- Politics Black Lesbian Nominated as Federal Judge Sails Through Hearing March 12 2014 7:10 PM
- Jamaica Judge: Homeless Jamaican LGBT Youth Can Live in Sewers March 12 2014 7:08 PM