White Castle, Carl's Jr: Fast Food Companies Run By Right Wingers
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
August 05 2012 4:12 PM ET
With all the debate raging around Chick-fil-A this month, LGBT activists and their allies are wondering if there are other fast food eateries that also offer up draconian anti-equality philosophies and give donations to antigay candidates or causes. Thankfully Lauren Kelley, the activism and gender editor at AlterNet, pulled together a list of five food companies run by radical right wingers."who’ve spent significant money opposing gay rights, abortion rights, and other important causes and funding attack ads against left-leaning politicians."
Among Alternet's top four:
1. Chick-fil-A: Founder S. Truett Cathy puts his money where his mouth is when it comes to antigay organizing.
2. Carl’s Jr.: Founder Carl Karcher, who died in 2008, writes Kelley, had been a supporter of anti-abortion causes, like Operation Rescue, for decades. He also had a mean anti-gay streak as well, she says, and "gay rights groups dubbed his hamburgers 'bigot burgers' after Karcher supported a 1978 proposition that would have allowed school boards to fire teachers who were gay or advocated homosexuality."
3. White Castle: According to a ThinkProgress report on brands that give to radical ring wing causes, White Castle helped bankroll right wing attack ads giving $25,000 to the Congressional Leadership Fund super PAC, a group linked to House Speaker John Boehner, which supports conservative candidates in the upcoming election.
4. Waffle House: Also mentioned by ThinkProgress, says Kelley, has given $100,000 this election cycle to the Karl Rove super PAC American Crossroads.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- 19 Shows LGBT Viewers Can't Miss This Fall
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- WATCH: Finding the Funny in "Ex-Gay" Marriages and a Queerpocalypse
- Decades of Old Research Leads to Possible HIV Vaccine For Kids
- Erasure is Back With a New Album and a Still Sexy Gay Rock Star