White Castle, Carl's Jr: Fast Food Companies Run By Right Wingers
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
August 05 2012 3:12 PM ET
With all the debate raging around Chick-fil-A this month, LGBT activists and their allies are wondering if there are other fast food eateries that also offer up draconian anti-equality philosophies and give donations to antigay candidates or causes. Thankfully Lauren Kelley, the activism and gender editor at AlterNet, pulled together a list of five food companies run by radical right wingers."who’ve spent significant money opposing gay rights, abortion rights, and other important causes and funding attack ads against left-leaning politicians."
Among Alternet's top four:
1. Chick-fil-A: Founder S. Truett Cathy puts his money where his mouth is when it comes to antigay organizing.
2. Carl’s Jr.: Founder Carl Karcher, who died in 2008, writes Kelley, had been a supporter of anti-abortion causes, like Operation Rescue, for decades. He also had a mean anti-gay streak as well, she says, and "gay rights groups dubbed his hamburgers 'bigot burgers' after Karcher supported a 1978 proposition that would have allowed school boards to fire teachers who were gay or advocated homosexuality."
3. White Castle: According to a ThinkProgress report on brands that give to radical ring wing causes, White Castle helped bankroll right wing attack ads giving $25,000 to the Congressional Leadership Fund super PAC, a group linked to House Speaker John Boehner, which supports conservative candidates in the upcoming election.
4. Waffle House: Also mentioned by ThinkProgress, says Kelley, has given $100,000 this election cycle to the Karl Rove super PAC American Crossroads.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- Mass. Lt. Gov. Candidate Backs Marriage Equality; Conservatives Object
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 33 min 42 sec ago
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 1 hour 34 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 1 hour 38 min ago
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 3:07 PM
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 3:02 PM
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 2:53 PM