5 LGBT Characters We'd Love to See in a Justice League Movie
BY Brian Andersen
June 12 2014 9:00 AM ET
Batwoman is another of DC’s recent characters who sparked headlines the world over when she came out as a lesbian and once again when she was denied the right to marry her girlfriend. The present Batwoman debuted in 2006 in the comic book series 52 and has gone on to star in her own solo title, after headlining DC Comics' iconic Detective Comics for 12 issues. She’s since romanced the second version of the character named the Question, a.k.a. police officer Renee Montoya, and proposed with much fanfare to detective Maggie Sawyer.
She is currently the only mainstream queer comic book character starring in her own solo series. That says something of her popularity. With a new Batman being played by Ben Affleck, it would be the perfect time to include a new member of the Bat Family to moviegoers. Instead of the more familiar Boy Wonder, an out, strong, independent woman would make an excellent partner for Batman and be a great addition to a Justice League movie. Plus, with Wonder Woman being the sole female in the current Justice League comic book series the team is ripe for some more female empowerment. Girl power!
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing it Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Gay Wedding Advice for Gays and Straights
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Amber Heard: 'I Don't Want to Have to Deny My Sexuality in Order to Be Me'
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members