BY Job Brother
March 27 2009 12:00 AM ET
In her recent tour, Sandra Bernhard tells an amusing story
of spending Thanksgiving with you.
I've been in a lot of social situations with Sandraâ€¦ She's
always amusing. We were at a
party together, which was highly amusing because Madonna was
there. I must say I find Madonna a bit irritating.
And I can quote you on that?
Joni Mitchell once described herself as a "painter
derailed by circumstance." Is there a gift or aspect of
your life that is as much a part of you as singing or acting
that we don't know about?
No. No. I would've liked to have gone to university. It
would've been great for me, because I could have got three
years to grow up a bit. When I left home, at 17, my mother was
still buying my clothes. I didn't know anything about money
or looking after myself.
What do you think your major would have been?
English lit or philosophy. It would have been a lot of fun,
though not very useful. Anyway, I didn't do that. And for 17
years I regretted it, then sometime -- maybe around
[her album released in 1987] -- I suddenly realized that if I
just accepted my life it would be a lot easier. Acceptance is
the key to happiness.
There's a beautiful irony in your being skeptical about a
major in English lit being useful when you ended up becoming so
successful in the impossibly unsure field of pop-star
When I look back, I must say, I was very lucky to make a record
and have a success.
Luck is something you consistently remark on in interviews.
When you say "luck," what does that really mean to you?
I don't really know if I believe in destiny. Maybe I'm
beginning to believe a bit more. I think for a long time I did
believe it was luck. Of course there was an awful lot of hard
I read an interesting
interview with Elvis Presley when I was young, in which he
attributed his success to luck, which I thought was very wise,
because obviously it wasn't just luck -- he had enormous
talent. But it looked very modest.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 48 sec ago
- Television Fox's Brooklyn Nine-Nine Quietly Breaks Ground 6 min 28 sec ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Ushering in a New Year Money Minute 1 hour 7 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 1 hour 21 min ago
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 1 hour 42 min ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM