I Advocate ... Diego Sanchez
BY Advocate Contributors
May 18 2011 4:00 AM ET
...Camp Aranu’tiq. Camp Aranu’tiq is a nonprofit weeklong overnight summer camp for transgender and gender-variant youth, ages 8-15. This gives trans kids a chance to be inspired for and about life. Aranu’tiq lets campers be safe, have fun, know they’re not alone, express gender in whatever way is comfortable for them, and connect with others. Staff is all volunteer, tuition is low, and scholarships and travel fund assistance are available. This summer Aranu’tiq will have 60 campers from the U.S. and Canada. CampAranutiq.org
...“I Am: Trans People Speak,” is a brilliant multi-media campaign aimed at raising awareness about the diverse communities of trans individuals, families, and allies (I am a participant in the series; check out my video at TransPeopleSpeak.org). No one tells stories better than we who live them.
...Burberry original fragrance for men. What does it say that I have outlived retail access to a favorite product, no longer available in Burberry’s signature stores? Perhaps someone will create an Eau de Fossil Daddy that I can splash and embrace.
...ethical bicycling. Crosswalks and sidewalks are for pedestrians, not cyclists. Unless you’ve devised an ingenious way to signal where we should dodge as you zoom past us, stay on the road. From experience, I can say it hurts to be run over.
...representative inclusion of transgender people and people of color on staff and boards of LGBT organizations. Advocacy groups need to be proactive in bringing greater diversity on board. If you don’t build it, they won’t come.
...Bejeweled 2. I can’t explain if I am more soothed by the willing movement of the pieces at my touch, the fireworks-like blast of rainbow beauty, or the racking-up of points, but I admit that am mesmerized by this electronic escapade. Popcap.com
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM