I Advocate ... Diego Sanchez
BY Advocate Contributors
May 18 2011 4:00 AM ET
...Camp Aranu’tiq. Camp Aranu’tiq is a nonprofit weeklong overnight summer camp for transgender and gender-variant youth, ages 8-15. This gives trans kids a chance to be inspired for and about life. Aranu’tiq lets campers be safe, have fun, know they’re not alone, express gender in whatever way is comfortable for them, and connect with others. Staff is all volunteer, tuition is low, and scholarships and travel fund assistance are available. This summer Aranu’tiq will have 60 campers from the U.S. and Canada. CampAranutiq.org
...“I Am: Trans People Speak,” is a brilliant multi-media campaign aimed at raising awareness about the diverse communities of trans individuals, families, and allies (I am a participant in the series; check out my video at TransPeopleSpeak.org). No one tells stories better than we who live them.
...Burberry original fragrance for men. What does it say that I have outlived retail access to a favorite product, no longer available in Burberry’s signature stores? Perhaps someone will create an Eau de Fossil Daddy that I can splash and embrace.
...ethical bicycling. Crosswalks and sidewalks are for pedestrians, not cyclists. Unless you’ve devised an ingenious way to signal where we should dodge as you zoom past us, stay on the road. From experience, I can say it hurts to be run over.
...representative inclusion of transgender people and people of color on staff and boards of LGBT organizations. Advocacy groups need to be proactive in bringing greater diversity on board. If you don’t build it, they won’t come.
...Bejeweled 2. I can’t explain if I am more soothed by the willing movement of the pieces at my touch, the fireworks-like blast of rainbow beauty, or the racking-up of points, but I admit that am mesmerized by this electronic escapade. Popcap.com
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Filmmaker Needs Help to Penetrate the South 25 min 59 sec ago
- Commentary NYC Hate Crimes: Why I'm Afraid for First Time in My Life 43 min 19 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Portia de Rossi Spills Ellen's Most Annoying Habit to Jennifer Aniston 1 hour 6 min ago
- Living Well Why Shacking Up Is Good For Your Health 1 hour 12 min ago
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 2 hours 8 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 2 hours 37 min ago
- Crime Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence? 11:07 AM