Celebrities Raise Voices On Point to Benefit LGBTQ Scholars
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 18 2012 3:53 PM ET
Hal Sparks, host, comedian, actor on Showtime's Queer As Folk, on what the future holds for Point Scholars:
"For these kids, my hope for them, and the unfortunate necessity for them, is that they become eventual members of the power structure of our country, our legal system, and our corporate structure. Because that's how things change."
Sparks also offered a timeline for the future of LGBT equality:
"Five years from today, you will see an understanding of 'it doesn't matter.' This will be the political platform: It is inconsequential what your sexual identification is… There will be a conversational embarrassment by those who are bigoted against it, where they will no longer feel safe to be there. They're already moving in that direction. That's why they're flipping out.
"But in 10 years, we will look upon equal rights as far as gays and lesbians, bisexuals and transgender people marrying, the way we look at women not having the vote or interracial marriage in the 60s. In a decade. There will be fighters all along the way, and it will be tooth and nail at certain points, and we'll certainly have periods where it'll feel like we've moved back two years… But it takes these kinds of movements, these kind of pushes forward, to recognize how many knuckle-draggers we have amongst us."
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM