GMA's Sam Champion Comes Out, Reveals Wedding Plans
BY Trudy Ring
October 05 2012 3:03 PM ET
Good Morning America weatherman Sam Champion has come out as gay and announced plans to marry his partner.
Champion came out in a New York Times story published online today on the wedding of journalist Thomas Roberts and pharmaceutical executive Patrick Abner last weekend.
Champion, one of about 170 guests at the New York City ceremony, “took a turn on the dance floor with his partner, the photographer Rubem Robierb,” the Times reports. Champion turned to a reporter and said, “We’re getting married New Year’s Eve in Miami,” but Robierb added, “We’ll do it here officially, and then have a party in Miami.”
Champion is the first cohost of a network morning program to announce he is gay, notes the Times’ Media Decoder blog. He is likely to discuss his wedding plans on GMA Monday.
His sexual orientation was well known to his colleagues and competitors, Media Decoder reports, but he had never acknowledged it publicly. “He exuberantly showed off his engagement ring to colleagues the day after becoming engaged and brought Mr. Robierb to parties with fellow co-hosts,” the blog reported.
Champion issued a statement on the ABC News website today saying, “We are thrilled and so excited and thank everyone for their good wishes.” Meanwhile, GLAAD president Herndon Graddick noted, “Sam has been a good friend and longtime supporter of GLAAD, and I wish him and Rubem the absolute best.”
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Perez Hilton Coming to Reality TV as a Gay Dad
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: Davey Wavey Does Acceptance One Better 22 min 3 sec ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court 1 hour 44 min ago
- HIV & AIDS There Are Other Ways to Prevent HIV Besides Condoms 1 hour 46 min ago
- HIV & AIDS The Crisis in Prevention for the Gay Community 1 hour 48 min ago
- Entertainment News Listen to The Sound Of Music Live Soundtrack with Carrie Underwood 2 hours 48 min ago
- Travel Berlin's Best Neighborhoods: A Primer 2 hours 53 min ago
- Entertainment News James Franco Teases 50 Shades of Batman & Robin 10:38 AM