GMA's Sam Champion Comes Out, Reveals Wedding Plans
BY Trudy Ring
October 05 2012 4:03 PM ET
Good Morning America weatherman Sam Champion has come out as gay and announced plans to marry his partner.
Champion came out in a New York Times story published online today on the wedding of journalist Thomas Roberts and pharmaceutical executive Patrick Abner last weekend.
Champion, one of about 170 guests at the New York City ceremony, “took a turn on the dance floor with his partner, the photographer Rubem Robierb,” the Times reports. Champion turned to a reporter and said, “We’re getting married New Year’s Eve in Miami,” but Robierb added, “We’ll do it here officially, and then have a party in Miami.”
Champion is the first cohost of a network morning program to announce he is gay, notes the Times’ Media Decoder blog. He is likely to discuss his wedding plans on GMA Monday.
His sexual orientation was well known to his colleagues and competitors, Media Decoder reports, but he had never acknowledged it publicly. “He exuberantly showed off his engagement ring to colleagues the day after becoming engaged and brought Mr. Robierb to parties with fellow co-hosts,” the blog reported.
Champion issued a statement on the ABC News website today saying, “We are thrilled and so excited and thank everyone for their good wishes.” Meanwhile, GLAAD president Herndon Graddick noted, “Sam has been a good friend and longtime supporter of GLAAD, and I wish him and Rubem the absolute best.”
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- WATCH: Kentucky Clerk Defies Court Again, Turns Away Same-Sex Couple a Third Time
- Lesbian Feminist Cathy Brennan Sues AfterEllen for Defamation
- WATCH: Donald Trump Still Can't Explain His Marriage Equality Opposition
- Trayvon Martin Killer George Zimmerman Proves He's a Racist Homophobe
- TBT: Mid-Century Dreamboats